Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2017-12-31 18:43:16

Skeltek
Contributor

eIDs

Hi,

even though Im just trying to develop something for my IT-Security class at university and will maybe get an internship and work with RFID, I was still wondering, if I could use the proxmark3 as a Reader for my electronic ID.
Since they forced the eID on us in germany, I thought I might as well try out using it for that. Is it possible, or do technical aspects prevent that form of usage? As far as I know the source code for the german 'AusweisApp2' is open source and can be compiled by anyone.
I thought maybe some required random numbers generator, missing chip on the reader or non-certification of the Windows-drivers might prevent using the official app or a modification for that.
Just wanted to know if it was technically possible and wether the required amount of work was low or unbearably big (probably the later), before I try researching on it and probably just waste my time.
It would just be nice if the Proxmark could do such a thing, since most readers are slightly cheaper than the proxmark, but would still be an additional costly investment.

regards, Skel

Last edited by Skeltek (2017-12-31 18:44:23)

#2 2018-01-01 14:32:45

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: eIDs

There are some code inside  hf epa  which concerns german epassports.  It could be your starting point and is in need of some love

#3 2018-01-02 10:45:57

Skeltek
Contributor

Well, I had a lot of hours invested now. Too bad I am not familiar enough with the Proxmark Code (somehow it seems a lot has built up and the topic itself is already quiet complex), though I found out which files are client and which are proxmark-side.

I think my main problems will be for the official eID-App 'AusweisApp2' to acknowledge Proxmark3 as a reader (changing and compiling the App myself), somehow get the Proxmark3 to akt as a regular reader with a foreign PC-App and do a giant amount of research.

The 'AusweisApp2' has an automated function to detect any readers plugged to the computer, which of course doesnt list the proxmark (since its firmware is probably only made to communicate with the Proxspace-Client).
Did anyone try writing firmware for emulating regular RFID/NFC-Readers before?

I mean, my goal is not to crack anythingor emulate my eID, but to utilize the proxmark as a regular reader, capable of communicating with regular Reader-Software or emulating another Readers Interface.

Last edited by Skeltek (2018-01-02 10:47:41)

#4 2018-01-02 10:57:05

iceman
Administrator
Website

No,  proxmark3 doesn't do well as a normal reader/writer. 

Normally you use proxmark3 as the reader, targeting your EPA with the correct commands.  (simplified version)
You would need to map what commands the eID-app uses to communicate with ePassword / eID.   Then figure out how to send them with the proxmark.

RFID is a complex subject aswell the proxmark3 device.  It has a steep learning curve.

Board footer