Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2015-09-30 15:49:17

bigboyq
Contributor

[OSX]Proxmark3 hang in the OS X environment

While I am following the instruction of the github to handle my board in the OS X, my installation is success, but while I am using the proxmark3 command, the command frozen(hang) often, and after quite a while, the problem will resume, and hang again soon.

I tried to use home brew instead of macports, proxmark3 client works fine, but still have fpga errors.

I guess the hang problem might caused by the readline lib

as homebrew using readline 6.3.8
and mac ports using readline 6.3.003

I think everyone facing the same problem could try to fix it.

Just put my modification

brew install readline

vi client/Makefile
LDLIBS = -L/usr/local/opt/readline/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lreadline -lpthread -lm
CFLAGS = -std=c99 -I. -I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I../include -I../common -I../zlib -I/opt/local/include -I../liblua -Wall $(COMMON_FLAGS) -g -O4

cd ..

make clean

make

and the make process will failed on the fpga_compress, but proxmark3 command works fine.

My environment

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
MacPort Version 2.3.3
Homebrew 0.9.5

I have two mac, while using Macport to compile , both the same problem
So I uninstalled mac port from one, reinstall home brew, proxmark working fine now.
Any one facing the same problem, could try.

Now I am using Macport to compile the whole project, but using the home-brew to compile the proxmark3 by another mac......

If I have time, I might try to fix the whole process, but I wish the official team could release an official version instruction to compile under homebrew environment.

#2 2015-10-02 10:57:18

chrisfu

Re: [OSX]Proxmark3 hang in the OS X environment

Hi,

I've written a Brew formula for Proxmark3 already. Add it as a tap, and it should work perfectly for you.

It will compile the (new) flasher, the (old) HID flasher, firmware, and client app. It also supports building the latest git HEAD.

https://github.com/chrisfu/homebrew-tap

#3 2015-10-04 17:54:25

bigboyq
Contributor

@chrisfu, thanks for your help, it works
For EI captain, just need some modify.
As I need github version, so done it step by step follow your script, it is working now on OS X EI.

#4 2015-10-13 11:40:12

robot
Contributor

As a noob to both homebrew & proxmark and not proficient with Github (what could possibly go wrong!), would it be possible to use this "tap" with the very latest release?. I have a new Proxmark3 RDV with some strange mifare UID 1k changeable cards that seem between gen1 and gen2 and I'm trying to make sure that my system is working properly!.

BTW, used the tap to get 2.2.0 and it worked well - I would like to be on the bleeding edge for the wdt fixes.

#5 2015-10-29 11:21:47

chrisfu

robot wrote:

As a noob to both homebrew & proxmark and not proficient with Github (what could possibly go wrong!), would it be possible to use this "tap" with the very latest release?. I have a new Proxmark3 RDV with some strange mifare UID 1k changeable cards that seem between gen1 and gen2 and I'm trying to make sure that my system is working properly!.

BTW, used the tap to get 2.2.0 and it worked well - I would like to be on the bleeding edge for the wdt fixes.

Sure, it's easy.

brew install --HEAD proxmark3

That pulls, builds and installs the latest non-stable version from Github.

#6 2015-10-29 22:02:34

robot
Contributor

Great - I will try that...
thank you!

#7 2015-11-05 17:18:37

robot
Contributor

@Chrisfu - that works well, thank you!.

#8 2016-02-16 09:58:47

chrisfu

Just to let you all know, I've changed the name of the Homebrew tap for Proxmark3 to https://github.com/chrisfu/homebrew-proxmark3

#9 2016-02-16 18:47:48

Omikron
Contributor

chrisfu wrote:

Just to let you all know, I've changed the name of the Homebrew tap for Proxmark3 to https://github.com/chrisfu/homebrew-proxmark3

Hey Chris,

Thank you immensely for the tap.  It has resolved a problem that I have been wrestling with for almost two years, which is that of the client hanging.  Do you know what libraries cause problems normally?  When I build from my own cloned repo I get all sorts of hanging issues with the client, but not with yours.  While I am happy to use your formula in the meantime, I would love to know where the heck the problem started in the first place.

#10 2016-02-24 13:05:57

chrisfu

Omikron wrote:
chrisfu wrote:

Hey Chris,

Thank you immensely for the tap.  It has resolved a problem that I have been wrestling with for almost two years, which is that of the client hanging.  Do you know what libraries cause problems normally?  When I build from my own cloned repo I get all sorts of hanging issues with the client, but not with yours.  While I am happy to use your formula in the meantime, I would love to know where the heck the problem started in the first place.

I'd imagine it's with one of the runtime deps such as readline, rather than a build dep. I'd guess the easiest way to start working out where it was going wrong would be to check the versions of both the build dependancies and runtime dependancies, and try and replicate what Homebrew is doing for you.

Where you using Macports for the dependancies previously?

I could have been more help I guess but as soon as I started experimenting with my Proxmark3, the first thing I did was write a Homebrew formula for it.

Guess it's worth saying now that I also have a Dockerfile on Github that performs Linux amd64 builds of the current head.

Board footer