Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2020-01-15 15:55:17

just_johnny
Contributor

Proxmark clone on Amazon - rant!

Greetings Proxmark fans!

I recently came across a tweet mentioning a Proxmark clone for sale on Amazon - https://twitter.com/NotMedic/status/1217444556909748224

This pissed me off.  I'm a die hard proxmark fan, and I use this forum a lot (I don't post much, because, well, it's so active that all my questions have been answered thus far).  I see the incredible amount of hard work the developers and community put into the proxmark.  From antenna building and tuning, to developing data sheets on rare/uncommon tags, to special firmware forks that are in development.  So it chapped my ass when I saw another InfoSec guy advocating people to go out and buy a clone!

Anyways, shout out to everyone in the PM world that makes the product as awesome as it is!

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Reader-KKmoon-Proxmark3-Copier-Changeable/dp/B07WPJ89PF/

Johnny

#2 2020-01-15 16:17:55

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: Proxmark clone on Amazon - rant!

It wouldn't be the first time ppl tries to push the cheap clones.  It comes down to money for those ppl.  If you can get a cheap hardware clone for 50usd and it might work well.  Why not buy it?  You find many posts here about the realisation that the device doesn't work 100% but it does work good enough.   It solves their problem and scratches their itch.

If ppl gets interested in rfid hacking and especially proxmark3 then its good for the community.

#3 2020-01-15 17:31:09

just_johnny
Contributor

I'm sure it won't be the last either.  I guess I'm just bitter because this hits close to home (I'm in love with this project and all the community around it), but the truth is, this isn't anything new..  Thanks for the reply.

Johnny

#4 2020-01-16 03:55:10

mwalker

I kinda see the cheap clones as a try before you buy. 
I started with a cheap pm3 easy and in less then 1 year, now have 2 RDV4 units, some different antennas and 1 blueshark.
While I never had an issues with the easy, and used it when I added some code to the project, as i learnt, I saw the value in the real units and never looked back. 
e.g. I was using the RDV4.0 with the blueshark for its physical size and battery power to do a quick demo at work using the samyrun stand-alone.   Much better then the easy with an external power supply smile

Board footer