Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2014-12-13 18:09:50

iceman
Administrator
Website

Codestyle: Prefered way of waiting for GetFromBigBuf?

which is the pefered way of waiting for the GetFromBigBuf?  Is it with timeout or not?

GetFromBigBuf(data,BUFF_SIZE,3560);  //3560 -- should be offset..
  WaitForResponseTimeout(CMD_ACK,NULL, 1500);

VS

GetFromBigBuf(data,BUFF_SIZE,3560);  //3560 -- should be offset..
  WaitForResponse(CMD_ACK,NULL);

#2 2014-12-14 09:33:31

holiman
Contributor

Re: Codestyle: Prefered way of waiting for GetFromBigBuf?

Depends on what you want... Both can be aborted with user-click. If you specify no timeout or greater than a certain value (perhaps 3s), it will say "press button to abort". If the operation is "sim", you want to basically keep doing it indefinitely (no timeout, or exteranlly loop around a small timeout-value). If the operation is just to do something which is supposed to be quick, you can use a couple of seconds timeout. Look inside to see how it works.

#3 2014-12-14 10:50:37

iceman
Administrator
Website

but if you do a sim, you don't want to wait for an response at all.  Fire and forget.  Just press button when done.

it's like a poor man version of errorchecking,  did it react within 1500millisec? nop,  well, then something went wrong.  smile

#4 2014-12-14 13:27:49

holiman
Contributor

The thing is, it's not a question of codestyle. It's just how you want to use it.
The comms are asynchronous. If you have an 'return immediately'-command, like 'data samples 2000', you expect the device to return the data 'immediately'. On the client side, it's still asynchronous - you need to specify how long you want to wait.

In my scripts, I usually loop around a smaller value, to surpress the "Press button to abort" - message. Because I print that info from the script itself. In a sim, you *may* want to handle the return value, as opposed to return to console. In my scripts, I maybe want to do a sim, then wait for the return value. So there are different aspects to think about. tldr; not a question of codestyle.

But more specifically, if you're getting from bigbuf, use 1500 instead. If it hasn't returned by then, something is wrong. No use in waiting indefinitely.

Board footer