Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2015-04-01 10:46:46

Slava

Mifare classic card programming with an android device

Sorry for a noob question, hope you can help.

I am working in a company which produces parking equipment and services.
For our parking cards we use a Mifare classic standard.

What we want is to have an opportunity to give certain clients a discount or a free service, to do it a worker should take his card and reprogram it. For this purpose, i know, there are special readers-writers, but most of them are rather expensive. So I wanted to know, if we can do this with an Android or Windows smartphone with an NFC module and a special software written for the purpose. Is it possible?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

#2 2015-04-01 18:19:15

asper
Contributor

Re: Mifare classic card programming with an android device

If the Android phone supports Mifare Calssic (not all phones supports them, it depends on the nfc chip used inside the mobile phone itself) you can read/write the card as you whish (reprogram it) but you obviously need the keys to write to the card sectors/reprogram them. If you have not the keys you cannot extract them using an Android phone.

#3 2015-04-02 00:38:32

0xFFFF
Administrator

asper wrote:

If the Android phone supports Mifare Calssic (not all phones supports them, it depends on the nfc chip used inside the mobile phone itself) you can read/write the card as you whish (reprogram it) but you obviously need the keys to write to the card sectors/reprogram them. If you have not the keys you cannot extract them using an Android phone.

Based on my own personal experience I have not come across an Android phone with NFC that does not support MIFARE Classic.
Have you seen differently asper?

#4 2015-04-02 01:23:46

marshmellow
Contributor

Some phones don't use the NXP chip and so it doesn't support classic cards.  But there aren't many.

#5 2015-04-02 03:36:08

marshmellow
Contributor

http://www.andytags.com/nfc-tags-compat … RyeOpHD_qA explains some about the classic compatibility issues.

#6 2015-04-02 11:16:18

Slava

Guys, thanx a lot!

I am familiar with MIFARE compatability, not a problem.

One more question. Can you advise SDK for Android and Windows mobile systems for MIFARE classic programming?

#7 2015-04-02 14:09:44

asper
Contributor

0xFFFF wrote:
asper wrote:

Based on my own personal experience I have not come across an Android phone with NFC that does not support MIFARE Classic.
Have you seen differently asper?

Mainly the old broadcom chipsets don't support mifare, newer ones seems to support them (probably dued to developers/users requests over the big mifare world wide diffusion)

#8 2015-06-15 10:18:47

steve
Contributor

Use the app MCT, Mifare Classic Toolkit.

Works fine with e.g. Samsung Galaxy S3, Sony Xperia Z3 and a lot of other models.

Board footer