Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2016-05-15 00:04:54

xylit

From cheap reader to proxmark3

Hello,

I used to crack mifare 1K with a cheap PN533 reader. I was using mfcuk to obtain one key and mfoc to finish and it worked pretty well. Until I got 2 cards that took me almost 1 hour ~ 3 hours with mfoc to crack one key but it worked.

And now, I got a proxmark3 and I naturally tried the same attack on my 2 tags to see what proxmark3 is capable of.

I tried with hf mf mifare but it says :
1st card: "Card is not vulnerable to Darkside attack (doesn't send NACK on authentication requests)."
2nd card: "Card is not vulnerable to Darkside attack (its random number generator seems to be based on the wellknown         
generating polynomial with 16 effective bits only, but shows unexpected behaviour."

I know there is snooping and so on but I really want to try the same attack with proxmark out of the box. I'm surprised it goes without problem with my cheap reader and not with pm. I know that pm is an advanced tool and if I need to develop some modules myself but I just wanted to know if it was possible to simply got it working in same situation.

Thanks for your answers.

#2 2016-05-15 08:17:30

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: From cheap reader to proxmark3

Card 1)  try hardnested attack
Card 2)  seems to be a clone,  there were a special attack of the "darkside" when parity is all zero. It is not working at the moment.

#3 2016-05-15 14:21:56

xylit

Do you have some documentation about hardnested attack ? I saw some ppl talking about it on this forum but no "official" documentation.

Do you know if it is possible to adapt the darkside attack of mfcuk into pm3 ?

Thank you

#4 2016-05-15 14:48:25

iceman
Administrator
Website

PM3 implements 3 different attacks on Mifare.

darkside attack  = mfcuk
nested attack =  mfoc
hard nested attack = ? stand alone bf solver ?       

Read Roel's thesis on the new suggested hard nested attack from 2015,  if you want to know how it works.
Read Piwi's comments / helptext in his hard_nested branch on his fork on github.

Board footer