Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2016-09-29 04:52:51

cjbrigato
Contributor

[SOLVED] [RDV2] quickly Fixing MMCX deffective connector assembly

Hello,

TL;DR : hf mmcx got out, with it's PBC's part, and I hope for advice on getting it back with ensuring any sort of time it still being workng with the constant tension made by the right angled cable.

[...] Was blablablabla [...]

Any thought on alternative will be apreciated, as the PBC will not permit to use mac-gyver on-pcb new life to the micro-leftover of metal may be seen on the pcb, and that after test it is clear that the only thing than can make correct connection again, along with avoiding shortage is the mmcx connector getting back to the very place it was at first, ,with enough force on it's top.

I think I'm correct to when I say that the circuitry cannot permit a modification of the fpga code regarding mapping (reversing LF and HF TPx's ) and is not even of thinking about ? Because this port has, sadly, never been candidate to plugin out and, and is in a state of perfection that makes the hole which had been HF even more of frustration.

Oh and I got no hardware available which would require any mod on circuirty without making destroying the device.

Best Regards, hoping for mmcx secret of sort which would be great. Or anyhow remapping fpga's blobs without modifying PCB sufficient...

A man condamned to LF-Only PM3 beautiful device, actually running experimental HF-only firmware. wink

Last edited by cjbrigato (2016-09-30 03:53:00)

#2 2016-09-29 06:48:59

cjbrigato
Contributor

Re: [SOLVED] [RDV2] quickly Fixing MMCX deffective connector assembly

Just to answer my own question with obvious response : looking at the very well written summary of Antennas to FPGA pathway, it's clear that nothing near having this mmcx connector back and condamned to pcb could ever satisfy HF condition. The middle + pin of the mmmcx should be hoped to be somehow be soldered back to something that may be les than 1/2 milimetter of conducting residue... and handle tension better than out from factory.

Sad day is sad day.

#3 2016-09-30 03:54:50

cjbrigato
Contributor

This case is solved, and so edited as such.

For the records, the pads where quickly fixed with the old but perfect trick for this case : Graphite pen lead.

Pads being conductive again, a new mmcx connector was sold on the board, with this one not being deffective on the cylinder end smile

Beubye.

#4 2016-09-30 07:58:21

iceman
Administrator
Website

I have a rdv2, with a broken of mmcx cable end inside the board connector. sad Not sure of how to get it out.  Was thinking of soldering but my soldering skills is not that good.

#5 2016-09-30 09:03:44

cjbrigato
Contributor

Iceman this is very funny because I thought that these kind of things only happens to me, but still I was discussing this very fact with E.H. Support right now, with a friend being way to curious being kind enough to both find which mmcx connector WILL not be suited for this design because of snap-locking behavior and cable choice and general intended usage combination, and it was sent to them.

Since the mmcx connector are not really, as I understood, to be seen in an updated design, this will be of no use, but may be lesson for other device and/or for making quality control procedures more accurate to device usage, not only strict quality.

About your problem :
This is the EXACT beginning of the whole mmcx-connector-horror-story. For end, it can be taken back, As i've done it still being the most dangerous person when it comes to behind very sure of not doing damage, i've succeeded.
I think, since this is months ago, that I used the cable with the "no shell" end (because it's stuck in connetor, yes) back une the connector as far as i can, started making strong "angle" on the snap lock "place" and the pull back and side enoought to get the cable being pulling back the dead end.
This was only way to do the less damage, and I remember both crying on both unlucky and lucky I was, for what was lost and what was safe beyond expectations.
But the fact is  that they may be no way to get it back without making the board fragile in this area, resulting with subsequent plugins in/out in the mmcx connector being not in pcb, and nothing amateur-possible to be repaired if pads got totally stuck on connector.
I think by knowing the process now that once you got the cable end back, you may then as soon as possible make the mmcx connector the most possible dead-stuck on the board, (I would have used Cyanoacrilate, definitely) and try to never plug the cable out, or the less possible, and alway unplug on antenna side only.
Still, you can save the boy. And be the one who  have beaten the rdv2 evil-mmcx.

I'm also one of the worst soldering person.
When had to solder the JTAG header to my beloved device, I was scared to death. This Day I made the best soldering of my life. And stopped soldering there, considering every other soldering I'll do will only be urgency in ways the device is already dead, but MIGHT be saved with so minor chance that I MAY use soldering. This is why I love Powertape, RDV2-small deisng and all solutio which permit to idea-guy like me to never use things that are "final" for the device, and still makes prototypes or even finished product.

#6 2016-09-30 10:00:58

iceman
Administrator
Website

Yeah, I heard ya.   
I'm just not swapping anymore. I keep both antennas connect instead.

#7 2016-09-30 10:24:20

cjbrigato
Contributor

Note that Even if it is a case of not ElecHouse business fault, and result of combination of specific improbability, still it was proposed a repair or replacement, after month of use, if I couldn't make the mmcx working again.
Never had such proposal in a french shop of any kind, even with indecent special expensive Warranty Extension.

#8 2016-09-30 10:38:38

iceman
Administrator
Website

You mean I should send it back to Elechouse and ask if they can fix/solder a new connector?

#9 2016-09-30 10:54:38

cjbrigato
Contributor

I mean that, after having the joy how three of what you know are my mails,
they where in the process of wanting picture to understand a little more the general state of the device, then if I could ship it back would have repair or replacement.
This is well above expectation and may be total result of them wanting me to stop, just stop. smile

#10 2016-10-01 10:18:26

cjbrigato
Contributor

Iceman1001, !!
I now have a confirmed contact that will be happy to replace the board if in any way the mmcx connector would fail again smile
So maybe wait for 7october when they are back from their holidays, and on these days you could take your destiny in your hands and get the stuck out of connector, whith damage behing known to be just a matter of shipping times.

#11 2016-10-01 13:20:23

iceman
Administrator
Website

excellent!

Board footer