Proxmark3 community

Research, development and trades concerning the powerful Proxmark3 device.

Remember; sharing is caring. Bring something back to the community.

"Learn the tools of the trade the hard way." +Fravia

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Time changes and with it the technology
Proxmark3 @ discord

Users of this forum, please be aware that information stored on this site is not private.

#1 2019-12-14 11:53:33

IHEARTCOOKIES
Contributor

Writing iOS App For Proxmark3 RDV4 (Blueshark)

I read a few rumors about the possibility behind writing an iOS client app to connect to the Proxmark3 RDV4 via bluetooth and sending remote commands (much like the existing android app).

After a few hours of researching what it would take, it looks like we might not even be able to establish a connection without enrolling in Apple's MFi program. That, or switching over to BLE/4.0+, which fortunately wouldn't require any MFi prerequisites.

I'd be delighted to take on the coding bit of this project. I had a bunch of cool ideas, however, I'm unfortunately a bit stuck now that I don't think I have a viable way of communicating between device/phone.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter!

#2 2019-12-14 11:58:27

iceman
Administrator
Website

Re: Writing iOS App For Proxmark3 RDV4 (Blueshark)

The promising ideas I have seen on IOS includes jailbroken devices.  Some NFC apps there are much interesting than what is allowed in offical appstore.

And this shoulding be under board innovations...  I should add a IOS app section...

#3 2019-12-14 12:05:27

IHEARTCOOKIES
Contributor

Yeah, I've dug into those as well. NFCWriter/X, etc., all seems to use Apple's private framework (NearField) to read/write/emulate data.

In comparison, I think a native client app that could communicate to the Proxmark would yield a stronger end-result. That way we could take advantage of the Swiss blade and enable remote scripting for a true red-teaming experience smile

#4 2019-12-14 12:48:49

iceman
Administrator
Website

Nodoubt that if we can get an app to do serial over BT on IOS that would be the best way forward.

What is the possibilities to do that?

#5 2019-12-14 22:08:00

IHEARTCOOKIES
Contributor

In my research, there'd be three possibilities (feel free to chip in if you think differently):

A) Get the existing BlueShark 2.0 into the MFi program (https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/). If we'd pass this step, there'd be nothing stopping us from getting it on the official App Store.

B) Upgrade to Bluetooth 4.0 low energy (http://www.proxmark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1714). This would bypass the MFi requirement and allow us to build a client app without explicit approval from Apple. Publishing the app onto the App Store would be possible too.

C) Jailbreak & hack the low-level protocols to accept unknown bluetooth device connections. May require more than a smile. Although not impossible, there seems to be little info available on this topic as a whole. Not to mention, we'd have to require customers to jailbreak their device prior to downloading the client. I'd say this is the least convenient option.

Personally, I'd vote for option B. Although, I'm curious, would option A be possible?

#6 2019-12-14 22:21:59

iceman
Administrator
Website

Maybe the HC-06 is already in the MFi program?  Its an chip that has been around for awhile.

[edit]  no.  that will not work.

Sadly the profiles which is supported doesn't allow serial over BT (serial profile)
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204387

HID profile is supported...

#7 2019-12-16 21:56:18

IHEARTCOOKIES
Contributor

Transposing the Proxmark to be of a HID category isn’t a bad idea... I’ll make sure to explore that a hit further. It would definitely require a custom flash (need to look into the internals of that, any tips?), but I definitely think this might be the most viable option that we have for now.

Aside from this idea, is BLE 4.0 on your radar? Any thoughts on that option?

Thank you for your help iceman!

#8 2019-12-17 06:40:22

iceman
Administrator
Website

The old pm3 client was using HID...   If you find a client/fw from 2013.  We moved away from that to USB-CDC since.

Board footer